A Book Launch, A Birthday Party and a Beach Excursion

At the beginning of May Nick and I led the Winterborne Walkers along our chosen route and were not surprised to find that the lush bluebell beds of Bonsley Common were past their best.  On the other hand the Wild Garlic and Yellow Archangel were in full swing and the Oilseed Rape was chest-high.  The walk took us across the Iron Age Hill Fort site at Ringmoor and, as it happened, at the end of the week I drove to Cornwall for the Trevelgue Head Monograph launch.  I earned my invitation by way of a short chapter on the marine shells which were excavated at this Iron Age Hill Fort site. Driving this far southwest I was bound to include a day at Shang-ri La.

There I found Stella and Rose in good form, and during the statutory tour of the garden succeeded in raiding a number of desirables:  a Vinca with a dark purple twizzly flower, a pink violet, Iris sibirica, Water avens…………  Staying with Pam and Andrew I gained an aquatic Iris – I think it might be the Louisiana Iris ‘Little Rock Skies’ – and a fabulous bunch of Alstroemeria which lasted two weeks.

A birthday party for my sister gave us the excuse to rehang the crepe paper garlands we made for the Fete de la Mer in St Vaast La Hougue last July.  Nick put these up with help from Ted, Lola and Ruby who had come to stay a couple of days beforehand.  He looped the flower chains around the gazebo and hung them in the hall and around the gallery indoors.  It was a fine day, and a noisy one with thirteen small children.  A magician entertained them under the gazebo then performed ‘strolling magic’ for the adult guests whilst the BBQ and food preparation were underway.

Barns and his crowd stayed over till Sunday, and together with Lola and Ruby we all went to Durdle Door for walk before lunch.  It was extremely windy when we spilled out of the cars on the cliff top, prompting moans from various quarters, but once down on the beach at the eastern side of the Durdle promontory it was sunny and sheltered.  A tin’s worth of flapjack was demolished and then we climbed the path to the carpark and drove home.

The smell of roasting lamb as we entered the house was high on comfort factor and luckily we were joined by ‘Uncle Albert’ to help us tackle the 9lb joint!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s